Making Of “Into the Light”

Inspiration is everywhere. You just have to keep your eyes open and look for it and today I want to share a a “making of” that actually started 3 weeks ago when a good friend of mine posted an image on Facebook that got me intrigued.

Here is the image as he posted it on Facebook

944089

It doesn’t look much as it was taken with an iPhone 4 but I could see the potential and started imagining what I can do with my camera. I didn’t even knew this place existed in Israel and that’s a little sad since i’ve been living here for 34 years 😉

But late is almost always better than never.

Fast forward 3 weeks and I was at the same spot with my camera which is considered to be slightly better than the camera on the iPhone 4. Looking at the image my friend took you can’t really understand what’s going to be in there and how you’re going to take the shot but I planned on using my tripod and figured it wouldn’t be a problem.

Taking the Shot

Turned out it isn’t really possible to take a picture in that cave using a tripod but luckily I bought a really cool clamp a couple of months ago and this was the first time I got to use it and it worked like a charm. Here is an image of me taking the photos while the camera is safely secured to the railing thanks to the clamp.

2016-02-23 13.35.45

Securing it to the railing allowed me to shoot with ISO 100 and expose for as many seconds as I needed which in the case of the final photo was 0.4 seconds.

I took a serious of shots in different exposures to cover all bases and be sure i’ll have enough to work with as I one option was to merge a few exposures into one image.

Due to the hight dynamic range of the situation, when I exposed for the sky the foreground inside the cave was very dark and when I exposed for the foreground the opening of the cave was burned out. You can see it very clearly in these RAW images:

Post Processing

I don’t really use the merge to HDR feature that was introduced in Lightroom 6 very much as I prefer to do it manually in Photoshop but I took 3 exposures and asked Lightroom to merge them for me and this is the result…

Lightroom Built In HDR from 3 exposures

I don’t know about you, but I don’t like this result at all…

Picking the Winner

As I mentioned before, I took plenty of shots and now I needed to pick the one or two i’m going to be working with. I picked the one that had the best looking water inside the cave as they were pouring from the sides into the middle and looking like silk thanks to the long exposure.

This is the image I selected as it came out of the camera…

Original RAW

Here are the steps I took inside Lightroom:

  1. Lens Correction – Enable profile corrections and remove chromatic abberation.
  2. Basic
    1. White Balance – Changed it to Auto as it looked better to me and made the image warmer.
    2. Exposure – I dropped the exposure to -1.65 to reduce the glow and the burn surrounding the cave entrance.
    3. Highlights – dropped to -12.
    4. Shadows – Increased to +40.
    5. Whites – Increased to +16.
  3. Detail – I dropped it to 0 from the default of 25. I knew i’m getting the image into photoshop so I was going to handle the sharpness in Photoshop.

This is the result so far…

Edit in PhotoshopNext I opened the image in Photoshop by right clicking on the image / edit in / edit in adobe photoshop CC 2015.

The main reason I moved to Photoshop was to handle the light on the right side of the image and remove it along with the people and railing that is there.

You can see them more clearly in the HDR above.

Lightroom spot removal is good for removing spots but it is very limited when doing anything else and it doesn’t come close to the clone stamping and spot healing tools in Photoshop.

Using the clone stamp and spot healing brush I removed everything from the right side of the image that was bothering me and I also added sharpening by duplicating the layer and going to Filter / Other / High Pass.

I chose a radios of 5.0 Pixels, clicked OK and than changed the blending mode of the layer to Overlay.

And this is before Photoshop and after Photoshop… (move slider left for After Photoshop)

You can notice the sharpening and the removal of the light on the right side.

In Lightroom I used a brush to brighten the water and the foreground in certain places.

Lightroom Brush - Foreground Lightroom Brush - Water

 

And that was it.

Here is the final result.

Into the Light

Update…

I actually ended up with 2 final images:

I posted both of them on a Facebook group in order to see which one people liked best and the results were pretty much 50-50.

So I really didn’t have any choice left and I had to go for a merged photo just as I initially planned when I was on location taking the photos.

I was afraid it would be too hard since i’m not really a photoshop master and i’m not all that familair with using luminosity masks and such BUT thank to an awesome photoshop panel called RAYA PRO 90% of the merging process was done with a single click 🙂

Must admit it was much easier than I thought it would be 🙂

And here is the final result…

Into The Light

Over to you…

Please let me know what you think, if you have any question or suggestions. I would love to know about them so don’t be a stranger and drop your comment below 😉

Thanks.

 

The 80/20 of Landscape Photography

Become a truly great landscape photographer by only focusing on the 20% that actually matters!

X

Leave a Comment, I read them all...