Recent years have brought the latest trends and technologies to each aspect of a person’s life. Some of the biggest and important transformations have been brought to transformation, one of which is cameras. Dash cameras in trucks and cars and helmet cameras for motorcyclists are becoming more common on highways all over the world. In this guide, we will review some of the best helmet cameras available and the things to look out for when choosing one.
Our Top Best Helmet Cameras
We will be giving you the list of the best cameras available today in order to help you ease the burden of finding the best one that will meet your needs and budget. So, here are the lists of helmet cameras you can find online.
Best Overall Hemet Cameras: GoPro Hero 7
The GoPro Hero 7 needs no introduction. This is the most renowned brand in the world of helmet cameras. All of the models available are shockproof and waterproof, and integrated with many add-ons, mounts, and attachments. Other state-of-the-art features are there as well, and this helmet camera was described as the adventure camera for a social age. It is integrated with the Super Photo feature as well as live streaming to social media sites like Facebook are some of the most excellent features of this camera. It also shoots 4K high quality videos at 60 frames for every second.
For pictures or photographs, this camera provides a 12 megapixels. Also, it has a super slow motion video format of 1080p at 240fps. Because of this, you can slow down your video by many times and make some funny, epic, and interesting moments. It is also integrated with HyperSmooth Video Stabilization and does the job. It has a new interface, and as with anything else, it’s much better than the previous Hero 6. Indeed, this is a most excellent all-around helmet camera available on the market today and the best solution you can find.
- This helmet camera works with voice control to take videos and pictures
- It is also integrated with vertical portrait mode shot choices for Instagram and Snapchat.
- Auto-stabilization when capturing or recording
- Doesn’t integrate with a remote control
- It doesn’t integrate with a Wi-Fi connection
- It also doesn’t come with Micro SD Card
- HyperSmooth: Get gimbal‑like stabilization—without the gimbal. HERO7 Black corrects for camera shake to deliver insanely smooth footage
- TimeWarp: Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move about a scene. Increase the speed up to 30x to turn longer activities into shareable moments
- Live streaming in 720p: Share while you’re there. Live stream in 720p on social, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later
- Rugged plus Waterproof: Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone. HERO7 Black is rugged, waterproof without a housing to 33 feet (10m) and up for any adventure
- SuperPhoto: Get brilliant photos automatically. With SuperPhoto, HERO7 Black intelligently applies HDR, local tone mapping or noise reduction to optimize your shots
Best Helmet Camera for the Money: Dragon Touch 4K Motorcycle Helmet Camera
State of the art Dragon Touch 4K Action Motorcycle Helmet Camera is everyone’s need and want to capture the most thrilling and exciting experiences and moments in life. This Dragon Touch helmet camera is integrated with 16MP photo resolution as well as a 4X zoom feature that makes sure that your images are the best and utmost quality. Not like the Hero 7, this one is armed with a remote control wristband that assists you expediently record with the camera on your motor or mountain bike helmet.
It is also integrated with a waterproof case which is up to 98 feet of water, is able to assists you take and record exciting and breathtaking live-action events like water sports. Integrated with state-of-the-art features such as slow motion, time lapse, loop recording as well as rotation, there is not much this helmet camera can’t do. This works like a dash camera and a helmet camera and provides a downloadable app. It is integrated with an installable hard case which is waterproof of up to 98ft water.
- This is integrated with time lapse as well as slow motion function and zooming capability
- Works as a dash camera and a helmet camera
- It is also integrated with remote control wristband that is easy and stress-free to maneuver
- This is just waterproof in 98 ft of water
- This doesn’t work with a MacBook
- The integrated remote control wristband isn’t waterproof
- 4K Action Camera with 4X Zoom: Professional 4K/30FPS, 2.7K/30fps, 1080P/60FPS video and 16MP photo resolution enables you to capture exciting moment for you. This camera also features zoom range from 1.0X to 4.0X.
- 100FT Waterproof Action Camera: Place your camera into the waterproof case and securely fasten it, you can dive below 100ft (30m). Underwater photography cameras is ideal for water sports such as swimming, surfing, diving, snorkeling etc.
- Wireless Remote Control & Adjustable View Angle: Put the remote control on your wrist while installing the camera on the helmet, selfie stick, etc, convenient to record moments in places. You can choose various wide angles between 70°,110°,140°, 170° as you like. it’s up to you to decide expansive or narrow field view.
- Versatile & Compact: Dragon Touch 4k action camera features multiple functions including driving mode, image rotation, time-lapse, burst photo, loop recording, slow motion, dramashot, white balance, etc. Bringing this camera to more applicable conditions beyond your expectation.
- Free Mounting Accessories: Sports & action video cameras comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries, remote control wristband and 18 accessories kit, each battery can record up to 90 minutes. The kits are available for most kinds of camera even AKASO, GoPro.
Best Cheap Helmet Camera: YI 4K Action and Sports Camera
If you are looking for a budget-friendly camera without compromising the quality of the pictures and images, look no further than YI 4K Action and Sports Camera. This state-of-the-art sleek camera can record 4K/ 30fps at up to 100mbps and comes with a 7-layered glass lens together with a Sony IMX377 photo sensor inside that works very well even in a very low light setting.
This is also integrated with a gyroscope which does an amazing task of stabilizing pictures and images even resolution goes down to 4K. Slow motion footage is noteworthy as well, as it is able to capture 720p, 240 fps if you like to slow down things smoothly.
It is also integrated with a 2.19-inch touchscreen made of high quality Gorilla Glass, which adds to the overall durability of the camera, and there are also nine modes to make a professional shooting. It also comes with a 4.4V Li-Ion battery, which lasts for more than 120 minutes due to the dispersing heat to preserve the charge even whole you are recoding in a high resolution. Snapping 12 MP images is also possible with the choice to import the recorded images as RAW files.
- Amazing and stunning image and photo quality
- Battery life lasts for many hours of use
- The touchscreen display is very rich quality
- No mounts included in the package
- You need to control the whole thing with a single button under water which is hard and complicated
- The MicroSD slot is hard to access
- Superb Image Quality – Records 4K/30fps (100mbps), 2.7k/60fps, 1080p/120fps, 720p/240fps video, and 12MP raw image with build-in Sony IMX377 image sensor and Ambarella dual-core A9SE75; Equipped with advanced video stabilization (EIS) can capture super smooth footage at 2.7k/60fps.
- Long Battery Life – High capacity rechargeable lithium-ion battery records up to 120mins of 4K/30fps video with a single charge. High performing cooling system prevents YI 4K Action Camera of overheating and enables stable video recording.
- Intuitive Touchscreen UI - Built-in 2.2” high responsive LCD touchscreen with 640 X 360 high resolution for easy setting, previewing and shooting. Newly released voice command makes shooting even easier than before. Touchscreen is made with Gorilla Glass Retina to resist scratches and daily impact.
- Instant Sharing -- Built-in Bluetooth and high speed 5GHz/2.4GHz Wi-Fi support for wireless remote control and the YI Action App for instant photo and video editing, sharing and live streaming to social media.
- Advanced Features – Always update to the latest firmware (1.8.25) to enjoy the extra features. Flexible settings of ISO/WB/SHUTTER/EV/METER for 12MP raw file help you produce high quality images even in low-light condition; Multi record/capture modes, including burst, slow-motion, timelapse, etc, get more creative and fun. Voice control is available with the latest firmware.
Fire Cam MINI1080 Motorcycle Helmet Camera
Made with the firefighter in mind, state of the art Fire Cam MINI1080 is the best helmet camera for shooting high pressure fire emergency operations. It’s made of a heat-resistant aluminum as well as a glass lens. Therefore, it is able to survive 900F for a short span of time. This camera is very lightweight and weighs a few ounces, making it convenient and easy to mount your helmet. It also comes with two caps; one which is weather resistant of up to 30ft and another for sound recording. There is also a USB cable and SD card to allow for direct connection to your laptop or computer.
- This just weighs some ounces. Thus, you can easily carry and mount this camera on your helmet
- This has the capability to withstand 900F of heat, which makes it perfect to use by fireman.
- This is able to loop record and takes account of time and date stamps
- Doesn’t last long as the battery is just able to survive for 60 minutes or one hour.
- Not like other units available out there, this helmet camera doesn’t integrate with Wi-Fi
- It also doesn’t integrate with remote control
- Specifically Designed by Fire Cam for Firefighting *Professional Grade Heat and Water Resistant *Underwater Use Down to 33FT
- Compact Design High Definition 1080p @ 30fps AND 720p @ 60fps Wide Angle View
- Video/Photo Mode, Adjustable Settings include Time/Date Stamp, Auto Pwr Off, Audio Record, Loop Record, Video Quality
- Now includes a 32gb U1 micro SD Card with adapter for longer recording time.
- BlackJack Fire Cam Mount included for US style fire helmets or any brim style helmet *Other mounting options available
What to Look for in the Best Helmet Camera?
With so many options available, you will find it hard to find the best helmet camera that will meet your needs and budget. To ensure that you find the right one, you need to keep in mind these factors:
A helmet camera is made to be durable, rugged as well as withstand weather and impacts. This is often utilized in dynamic settings where it is exposed to water, dirt, cold as well as heavy vibration.
The Quality of the Image
Helmet cameras vary in the quality of the image, with most brands or models available on the market providing diverse settings to either save memory or boost definition. Full HD or high definition or 1080p provides the crispest playback available, ideal for utilizing on a television. Tall HD or high definition or 960p falls back a little bit on the quality; however, doing so reduces the file size, which allows for a long take. On most helmet cameras available today, standard mode comes in at 720p, still more than enough clearness and precision to show off the newest trick or fall.
There are many kinds of helmet cameras available out there; however, all need not be compatible with your way of ride-ability. Therefore, always pick a helmet camera setup that matches the shape of your helmet and your riding pattern.
The video recording is of no good if the superiority isn’t at par. There are extremely tempting choices in the market which promise different functionalities at reasonable prices. However, these seldom offer crisp and high quality videos. So, make it a point to just opt for a camera with 1080p video resolution or more. 4K resolutions have become popular today, even for a lowest price, and therefore going for this will assure a stunning visual.
Size and Form Factor
This is more of a “wow” factor. It wouldn’t be possible to have a big camera module stuck onto the helmet. Aside from looking dreadful and terrible, these add unnecessary weight and hampers aerodynamics at high speed. Picking a moderately sized as well as a plush form factor is always recommended.
Memory of the Camera
There are helmet cameras available that are pre-built with a minimal hard drive for instant saving. Still, you’ll need an SD or secure digital card to utilize a helmet camera to its entire potential. An SD drive is handy in which it will enable you to transfer the file to your personal computer instantly or alternatively utilize the USB cable provided. High specified models do provide Wi-Fi specifications so that you are able to stream movies ether your phone app or computer.
When we say versatility, we’re talking about mounting options accessible for a helmet camera. Always choose the one that offers more than one mounting option. These take account of adhesives and clamps, and specific helmet cam manufacturers offer mounting points in the package, mostly adhesives. However, check the mounting choices and always opt to the one that suits your ideas.
There’s no point in having 4K resolution helmet cameras when it’s gravely restricted in terms of battery life. You’ll seldom need backup if you want it. Therefore, always try and buy a helmet camera that has a minimum lifespan of ninety minutes. If you encounter a bundle that is hard to resist but has a mediocre battery, make sure to check with the manufacturer for a higher capacity battery.
Durability is indeed key with regards to a helmet-mounted camera. You’ll always be flexing with the pressures of nature as well as surely require rugged and tough products. Make sure to buy a waterproof helmet camera that comes with tough and hard casings. This will give you assurance that it will last for many years of use.
Sharing Options and Storage Limit
All 4k recordings are expensive and don’t come cheap or reasonable. They consume lots of storage and, therefore, always choose the one which supports a higher number of SD support. Of course, you do not like to run out of storage right in between a ride. The social world is evolving fast, and therefore, action cameras today come with a wireless sharing option. This allows you to share images and videos fast and instantly. Specific helmet cameras also offer live streaming choices when coupled to the smartphone. These assist notably and can help in saving more of your time.
Ever thought where than never-ending drop was that you seem to pass on each rider? Top cameras come with GPS, so you are able to locate the precise location you filmed. Also, you can use the app to see a feed of your location alongside the footage.
Some helmet cameras available are integrated with microphones that assist with recording audio sound and the camera recording video. Some models don’t come with microphones. Once the product does come with a microphone, think of the quality of the sound and make sure it is high enough.
A helmet camera plays a vital role in the life of every motorist. This is a renowned way for motorists to document, record as well as share adventures online. With hundreds of choices available, you will find it hard to find the one which meets your needs and budget. We are hoping that through this guide, you will be able to find the best helmet camera that will meet your needs and preference.