The camera and other photography accessories cost a lot. Because of that, you should keep them safe and sound all the time, especially if you are traveling. If you want to make sure your lenses and camera stay safe in most testing conditions, the best camera hard case is vital. Below are our top picks for the best hard case for your camera available. In the end, we will go over the things to consider when buying a new bag. In the end, you will have a firm grasps of what you want and need, so you can pick the best one for your exceptional workflow.
Our Top Best Camera Hand Case
Your search for a superior and high quality camera hard case to keep your camera and accessories safe and sound is over. With many choices available, it can be impossible to look for the best for your needs. Luckily, we have gathered the best and the cheapest product available to help you ease the burden of finding the right one. So, here they are:
Best Overall Camera Hard Case: Pelican 1510
The Pelican 1510 provides the best in class security for your camera. It is watertight and crushproof, so meaning your accessory will keep intact once it comes into contact with water or any heavy objects that fall onto it.
This hard case will suit those photographers who usually travel with their gears. It has space for many camera bodies, accessories, and lenses, making sure there is no need to leave stuff at home. The design of this hard case bag will surely suit the needs and demands of many photographers.
The Pelican 1510 is integrated with easy to open two-throw latches, providing additional safety as well as fast accessibility. An extendable handle is useful if you decide to pull the case instead of carrying it.
The design of this hard case allows you to carry it with ease when traveling by air. It only weighs six kilograms, so it should not be too much issue moving this case around, even if not light. It is the costliest camera hard case. However, due to the quality and durability of the design, the company can more than validate the cost. And thinking of it will secure your camera for many years; it is a good investment that is worth making.
- It is watertight with an auto-pressure equalization valve
- Dustproof, crushproof as well as waterproof
- Single-layer padded or cushioned dividers.
- This is the most expensive camera hard case available due to the durability and quality of design.
- Watertight with Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve
- Reinforced padlock protectors
- Stainless steel ball bearing wheels
- Single Layer padded dividers with Velcro adjustments; Exterior Dimensions: 22"L x 13.81"W x 9"D (55.9 x 35.1 x 22.9 cm); Interior Dimensions: 19.75" x 11.00" x 7.60" (50.1 x 27.9 x 19.3 cm)
- Foam Layer 1 (Lid)-1.81 inch (Convolute), Foam Layer 2 (Base)-2.63 inch-Pick N Pluck ( 0.75 inch x .50 inch squares), Foam Layer 3 (Base)-2.63 inch ( 0.75 inch x .50 inch squares), Foam Layer 4 (Base)-0.50 inch (Solid)
Best Camera Hard Case for the Money: Nanuk 945
Nanuk is one of the leading providers of accessories and has built a good reputation for manufacturing camera cases that find the ideal balance between function and form.
If you enjoy an eye-catching accessory, then state-of-the-art Nanuk 945 is available in different colors to select from, from bright orange to solid black.
Not just will you look amazing, but you also love the full security of your camera or gear. The patented PowerClaw latching mechanism keeps the equipment snugly locked, even in testing conditions. The reason why it is popular is that it is easy to open and access your gear that is not the case with diverse latching systems.
It is a little bit bigger than the previous model, and you will not be able to bring it as a carry-on if flying to the destination. It is small, but if you do not want to pay extra fees for baggage, it is something you need to keep in mind.
This camera hard case is made of super lightweight NK-7 polypropylene and is totally waterproof.
- This camera hard case is IP67 rated, so it is waterproof, shockproof as well as dustproof.
- This is also made of NK-7 resin
- It comes with two PowerCare triple action latches
- This is too big to bring or carry when traveling by airplane.
- Interior Dimensions L22.0" x W17.0" x H8.2" | Exterior Dimensions L25.1" x W19.9" x H8.8"| Includes 2 layer cubed foam insert with base pad and lid foam
- Waterproof (IP67 rated), dustproof, shockproof | Automatic purge valve equalizes pressure on the inside of the case when travelling
- NK-7 resin is incredibly impact resistant | NANUK cases are designed to survive the toughest journey
- Two Powerclaw (patented) triple action latches | Latches molded in super-tough Nylon to keep the case securely closed
- Made in Canada | Lifetime Guarantee on the case | 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects on the foam inserts
Best Cheap Camera Hand Case: Monoprice Weatherproof
Are you on a tight budget but still want to obtain a superior and hard case for a camera? Worry no more as Monoprice Weatherproof is here for you.
This is considered the cheapest and more affordable choice but without compromising its quality.
The inside of the hard case is totally customizable, providing you the choice to insert cushioned protection that suits your gear and needs. On the other hand, the exterior is made of ultraviolet as well as impact-resistant materials and is available in shockproof design. It is also dust resistant and waterproof up to one meter deep for half an hour.
This 20-liter camera hard case is ideal for light travel. However, if you have a significant accessory, it is advisable to opt for a bigger option. Even if it is cheaper than other well-known and popular brands, it still works well in providing safety and security to your camera.
- Waterproof of up to 1-meter depth for half an hour
- This is made of impact and ultraviolet resistant material
- It comes with a pressure relief valve that enables gradual pressure equalization
- It does not feel quite as premium as other camera hard cases available out there.
- 20.1" x 10.9" x 6.8" internal dimensions and 1497 cu in internal volume.
- IP67 rating means it is 100% dust‑tight and waterproof when submerged to 1 meter.
- UV‑resistant and shockproof polypropylene construction, Four 7mm padlock holes for theft protection.
- Impact‑resistant latches and pressure‑release valve.
- Fully customizable foam interior inserts with Ergonomic, rubber covered handle.
Vanguard SUPREME 46F Heavy Duty
Are you shooting to taking pictures in the most testing condition, and then this one is for you. Astrophotographers are renowned for going into tough weather in making their photographs. For instance, photographing the Northern Lights, you’ll find yourself in wet, cold as well as possibly challenging settings and environments.
That is why this Vanguard Supreme 46F Heavy Duty hard case will be the difference between keeping the camera safe and secure and buying a new one. The company made this hard case with a tough and durable design which survives temp of 40 degrees to 203 degrees Fahrenheit. This is vital as a lot of groundbreaking mirrorless cameras can be unresponsive once left in the cold for longer hours. Therefore, if you are out in a place, you are able to leave the gear in the hard case and utilize it right away if you want to.
What makes this apart from others is that it is totally waterproof; however, it impressively can keep intact in five meters of water.
It is also integrated with rubber feet for an anti-slip and reinforced carrying handle that makes sure you will have no aggravations transporting the gear from one area to another.
- This hard case is able to survive temps of 40 degrees to 203 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It also supports 120lbs of exterior weight
- Survives in the water of up to five meters deep
- This is integrated with anti-slip rubber feet as well as a reinforced carrying handle.
- This hard case is very bulky
- Quite heavy even with no equipment inside it
- Waterproof (up to a depth of 16.5 feet/5 meters), dustproof and air tight. Built to withstand the most extreme temperatures (-40° to 203° F)
- Ideal for airline travel with an automatic pressure equalization valve. Incredibly strong and rugged (supports up to 265 pounds of exterior weight)
- Steel reinforced padlock receptacles and quick release latches
- Customizable hexagon-shaped die cut foam. Anti slip rubber feet and reinforced carrying handle
- Outside dimensions: 20.25 x 17.125 x 8.625". Inside dimensions: 18.875 x 14.625 x 7.875". Weight: 14.99 pounds
State-of-the-art Pelican 1550 is integrated with foam protection, enabling you to keep or store two gears and one lens. However, you don’t need to worry if you want more space as its interior is totally customizable, providing better and improved storage options.
Once you load up the gear on your car roof, you don’t need to worry once it falls off. This hard case is dustproof and shockproof and will keep your gears compact and always in good condition, eliminating the chance of possible damage occurring.
- The reinforced padlock protectors are made of high quality stainless steel
- This is crushproof and watertight
- It comes with an equalization valve that helps in releasing air pressure
- A bit more expensive than similar camera hard cases
- Pelican cases are kept watertight through the use of a tongue and groove fit and a polymer o-ring.
- Pelican cases come standard with an Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve which releases built up air pressure while keeping water out.
- Pelican's Pick N'Pluck foam lets you customize the interior.
- Stainless steel reinforced padlock protectors
- Interior Dimensions (inches): 18.43 x 14.00 x 7.62
What To Look For In A Hard Camera Case?
If you choose to buy a new hard case for your camera, it doesn’t matter if it is one of the most renowned and expensive brands or one of the best brands we’ve listed; there are vital features that you have to look out for.
Foam Vs. Dividers
Both foam and dividers provide the utmost protection for your camera. However, there are some disparities. A cushioned divide is likely to be less compact. The small pockets mean that your camera can dislodge from time to time and move around- but this would just occur in extreme traveling conditions or if you’re driving on rough terrain and would lead to damage.
On the other side, foam is more compact and will not let your cameras bang against each other. However, the foam starts to deteriorate in due course and can get lodged into your camera, which makes it a nuisance to maintain and clean.
There is no certified winner here, however for your peace of mind and ensuring your camera and accessories will not have scrapes and scuffs, the foam will be the most excellent option.
The Quality of Foam
While all types of foam might look identical, the array of quality is diverse. To include in the category of a durable hard case, makers or companies that manufacture this product must give superior materials that provide between 2.5 to 3.5 thickness foam. Usually, foam of this type lasts longer and is able to soak up more pressure in due course.
The word is confusing, and it is vital to know more about it. All the products mentioned here have water protection; however, that does not mean they will keep safe and secure in all weather conditions. A lot of hard cases for your camera come with an IP67 rating that is considered the standard for this type of product. Therefore, once you accidentally fall it in the bottom of the swimming pool, never expect your lenses and camera to stay safe from water damage. On the other hand, once it is dropped in-stream and shallow water resources, your camera will be secure and safe for up to half an hour in five feet of depth.
It is a must that your camera had case is impact resistant. A product that does not offer this feature isn’t worth your purchase and might lead to expensive repairs or buying a new one.
Like the products mentioned in the review, market leaders use an array of special materials to make their hard cases survive a strong impact with other elements. This is particularly essential if the case is able to drop from fall heights potentially or if a heavy object drops on it.
High Quality Locks
Aside from the storage options and build of the camera hard case, the mechanisms are an essential part of your lenses and cameras secured and protected. A strong latch means the hard case will keep a snug fit when closed and will not easily open if you pack the hard case away.
Other Factors to Consider
Here are some other important things to consider:
- Customization Padding: The cushioning of choice for hard cases for your camera is a block of foam that is punctured into tiny cubes. Slowly extract these to make holes which are ideally fit every accessory.
- Interior Options: Hollowed-out foam is ideal if you just plan to bring the same gears every time. For a versatile, reconfigurable interior, you have to pick a hard case which you can speak with moveable cushioned dividers instead.
- Some Extras: A hard case is all about storing your camera secure and safe. Make sure it comes with padlocks that release in two phases will help secure the camera against accidental opening.
- Pressure Equalization: A watertight hard case is also air-tight. So, to get rid of pressurization problems such as deformation if changing the altitude, make sure to consider an air-tight case that integrates a pressure equalization valve.
Conclusion: How Safe Your Camera Is In A Camera Hard Case?
The best camera hard case should be made with military-grade materials and developed in a manner that makes it shockproof, waterproof, and crushproof.
Therefore, while they cannot assure 100 percent safety, you would need to go above and beyond to try to harm your accessories and the camera itself. In most cases, a hard camera case will survive testing conditions as well as situations.